What if you could find all the places where your home is losing energy day after day? With a home energy audit, you can do exactly that. Whether you have air leaks, drafty windows, aging systems or too little insulation, a home energy audit will help pinpoint the exact locations of heat loss throughout your home. Sound like something that can help with your heating? Call Mediterranean Heating and Air Conditioning today and schedule your heating service in Woodland Hills with one of our efficiency experts!
What Is a Home Energy Audit?
A home energy audit, also known as a home energy assessment, is a process in which your home’s energy use is reviewed and assessed to determine how much energy your home is consuming and the exact physical areas where your home is losing energy. Once all tests have been conducted and information analyzed, you’ll be given a detailed report that outlines the problematic areas of your home and solutions to remedy the issues.
What Are the Components of an Energy Audit?
Here are some of the items involved in a home energy audit:
- Visual inspection – a thorough visual inspection is conducted to review any outstanding problems visible with your home.
- Blower door test – this test detects the sources of air leaks in your home and measures the amount of total air leakage you may have.
- Attic inspection – thorough inspection of your attic to see if it is properly insulated and if there are any existing problems with moisture, rot, etc., that can affect your energy efficiency.
- Review of household equipment and systems – a thorough review of HVAC system, hot water, washer, dryer, etc., to check for potential issues.
- Insulation inspection – this inspection helps determine if you have the correct amount of insulation in your home.
- Utility bill analysis – an analysis of your last 12 months’ worth of energy bills to help determine how much you’ve spent on energy and how you can save moving forward.
How Does This Help with Heating?
A home energy audit can help your heating in the following ways:
- Increase energy efficiency – knowing exactly where you are losing heat can help you significantly reduce air loss.
- Increase comfort levels – eliminating drafty areas helps create even heating, which is much more comfortable than dealing with hot and cold spots.
- Less wear on your system – your heating system has to make up for any loss your home may be experiencing. This means that it works harder, which can increase the amount of stress on the system. More stress can increase the level of wear.
If you have been struggling with energy loss, a home energy audit may be just what you need. Call Mediterranean Heating and Air Conditioning today!